7 Jun, 2014
4pm Local Host – If you have great passion for news and innovation, this is the opportunity you have been looking for! The E. W. Scripps Company is creating a local news program unlike anything you’ve seen before. This innovative news program, targeted at our 4pm audience, is a high-energy, up to the minute, interactive news experience that fully engages the audience on multiple screens.
Are you the one we’ve been looking for? If you have the energy and out-of-the-box thinking to help create a brand new format for delivering news, read on. We are building a top-notch, creative, inventive team to run our national news desk, as well as building out new local teams to deliver the program.
This is a Local Desk position located at our ABC affiliate, ABC (WXYZ-7), in Detroit, Michigan.
Description The Local Host is a dynamic and resourceful Show Host with excellent storytelling skills and presence to deliver a daily news and entertainment program in new and unusual ways. Working with the national and local production teams, the host uses their passion for news, pop culture and entertainment to provide a dynamic on-camera as well as social media presence.
Duties • Generates story ideas, researches and sets up the content and interviews, works with the producers, writes and voices stories, and delivers a live daily news program Monday through Friday. Performs on-air responsibilities for the show as requested or required.
• Absorbs background information related to program content and relates to viewers and guests; Helps viewers, followers and fans connect the various facts, information and opinions.
• Works with teleprompter, works in the field (live and tape); and assists with scripting and producing of show content.
• While reading from a script is required, this position may often be on air without the benefit of a script; live, interactive, co-producing from the set.
• Uses humor, interaction and analysis to express opinions and stimulate dialogue.
• Works with producers, managers and photographers.
• Contributes story ideas.
• Selects video and coordinates the editing for select material.
• Build relationships for the purpose of developing connections for story leads.
• Develops and cultivates contacts within the community.
• Participates in all assigned special promotions projects
• Other duties as assigned.
Education • Bachelor’s degree in related field
Experience • Minimum of 2 years’ experience in an anchor or host role
Skills/ Knowledge • Very strong writing, reporting skills.
• Must be able to absorb background information related to program content and relate to viewers and guests
• Comfortable to work live and unscripted in an interactive manner from the set.
• High degree of intellectual capacity: Deals with concepts and complexity comfortably. Able to quickly think things through fully. Understands complexity and quickly assimilates new information.
• Masterful user of Social Media to drive engagement (Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
• Ability to multi-task in a dynamic, high pressure, deadline and content driven and technology-intensive environment.
• Agile in a multi-platform storytelling environment.
• Edgy sense of humor: Has a smart, insightful and constructive sense of humor. Is appropriately funny and can use humor to ease tension and express opinions.
The E.W. Scripps Company (www.scripps.com) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, print and digital media brands. After approval of its acquisition of two Granite Broadcasting stations later this year, Scripps will own 21 local television stations as well as daily newspapers in 13 markets across the United States. It also runs an expanding collection of local and national digital journalism and information businesses including digital video news service Newsy. Scripps also produces television programming, runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and serves as the longtime steward of one of the nation’s largest, most successful and longest-running educational programs, Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1879, Scripps is focused on the stories of tomorrow.